The arts journal is looking for a journalist and editor with art industry experience to cover the current Market Editor’s maternity leave. This is a one-year full-time contract, based in London, starting March 2022.
• To supervise The art journal comprehensive coverage of the art market both in print and online, from antiques to NFTs, fairs, auctions, commercial galleries, current issues impacting the art trade art, disputes and relevant legislation.
• Closely monitor online art news and work with the Associate Art Market Editor to plan online and print coverage
• Plan the layout and content of the market section in the monthly print edition. This involves overseeing the copy, images and design of at least six designated pages per month (this number may increase), ensuring they are completed within production deadlines.
• Writing news, analysis and feature articles on the art market (online and print)
• Commission and edit articles from freelance and in-house writers (online and print)
• Work daily with the web team to write, order and publish online articles for the daily e-newsletter (including quick reports on major evening auctions)
• Be a key member of the reporting team at international art fairs where The arts journal produces daily newspapers, for example Art Basel and Frieze London
• Develop and maintain a wide range of art industry contacts and writers
• Represent The arts journal at events, auctions, fairs and press conferences, including evenings and weekends
• Appear as a guest on art week podcast to discuss art market stories and events
• Participate in or animate art-related round tables to represent The arts journal
• Administrative tasks related to the position
Key skills and experience:
• Ability to work well under pressure and within tight deadlines
• Excellent news and analytical writing skills
• Excellent grammar and mastery of house style
• Excellent interpersonal skills, to deal effectively with colleagues and correspondents
• Keep abreast of art market news
• Excellent organizational skills
• Understanding of journalistic standards, ethics and professional practice
• Good understanding of legal issues for journalists
• Good working knowledge of InDesign and basic Photoshop skills
• Experience using CMS software to write, edit and publish articles online
Ideal candidates will have:
• In-depth knowledge of the art market and the art world at large
• Extensive experience in writing and editing art market articles
• Minimum of five years of experience in an editorial position in an arts publication or on the arts desk of a national newspaper
• Public speaking experience
Interested candidates should send a resume and three samples of their writing, along with a cover email explaining their suitability for the position and salary expectations, to [email protected]
The deadline for submitting applications is February 11, 2022
About the Art Journal
The arts journal is a multi-channel publisher of news, insider views, intelligent commentary and in-depth analysis of the international art world.
Respected worldwide for its investigative journalism, independent thinking and unparalleled coverage of global art, The arts journal is recognized as essential reading and a vital connector for anyone interested in the art industry.
The arts journal is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a fair workforce and promoting skilled individuals without regard to race, sex, color, ethnic origin, national origin, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status and other underrepresented people in the cultural sector. Our application period will be open until we have a diverse and qualified candidate pool.